Lefkada Greece Art
This article is about the island, Lefkada town is seen as the capital of the islands LfKada. The highest point of the island is the town of Kefalonia, which is located at an altitude of 3,000 m above sea level, and in its center, at an altitude of 2,800 m, is the highest peak of the island. L fKefa, a small island with about 1200 inhabitants, is located in eastern Greece, about 30 km from the Mediterranean Sea.
The myth of Sappho's suicide at Cape Lefkada is related to other myths related to the island. South of Vasiliki, the Greek poet Sapp Ho jumped from her boat, Cape LfKada, to her death at the end of her life.
In 1413, Prince Achaea Centurione II of Zaccaria and Albanian mercenaries began an attack on Lefkada and its castle, which was defeated with the help of the Republic of Venice. The Ottomans invaded the island and took most of Epirus, which led Tocci to cede the islands to the Venetians. In a final peace agreement they returned them and occupied them until the end of their reign in 1415.
After the end of the Republic of Venice in 1797, Lefkada and the other Ionian islands were occupied by the French, who held them until 1899, when they were conquered by a Russian-Turkish expedition led by Fedor Ushakov. After the Treaty of Tilsit of 1807, French rule was restored, but the islands were conquered by the British in 1810.
After the siege of Corfu ended with a victory of Venice, the islands were reoccupied and the fortifications restored. Morosini evacuated the walled city and destroyed the two suburbs just outside the walls, turning them into a castle and a glacier. The castle was abandoned and partially demolished, but some fortifications were restored and it is still used today.
According to Evliya, there were five Friday mosques in the walled city, including the Imperial Mosque of Hunkar Camii, which was a converted church. In the years 1572 - 1574 Kapudan Pasha (Kilic Ali Pasha) completely enlarged and rebuilt the house. The only mosque was in the fortress, and the entire population seems to have been Christians, in contrast to the rest of the Sanjak of that time; only the photographer, the garrison and the administrators were Muslims. No water was brought in from the open city that had grown around it, so there was only a water supply for the city and only a small amount of water for its inhabitants.
The Russian Empire employed troops recruited from fleeting klepts (armatoloi) and recruited them to stay on the Ionian Islands, especially in Lefkas. Evlija's account is confirmed by the fact that the city had a population of about 1,000 people, mostly Christians, with a small number of Jews and Muslims.
The suburbs of Varosh i Lefqada were located to the east and west of the city, with 700 houses inhabited by Christian Greeks who had 20 churches. The western one was much larger and had a population of about 1,000 people, mostly Christians and Jews, and the Muslims occupied the two suburbs (varosh and east-west), which were built of wood and had a mixed population. Evlija notes that both suburbs had many wine shops, which was popular with the inhabitants of this garrison.
The fact that Lefkada became part of the despot Epirus is not explicitly confirmed until 1259, but the expelled inhabitants who settled there became the duchy Epirote (or the "ducat" in Greek, which in western sources during this period is sometimes also called the "duchies of el Ducato" or its variants). Leonardo Tocco seized the city in 1258 and took the title Duke (Dux) of Lucate. Leonardo's son, Leonardo II, Duke of Tuscany (1376 - 1429), made it the capital of his Ducal Empire, which encompassed large parts of the mainland of Epiote and enlarged the fortified city to its present size.
Venetian rule on the island was uninterrupted, but the castle was besieged by troops of the Holy Covenant. Evliya visited the islands in 1670-71 and left the city, where Islam had apparently made considerable progress. After the Ottoman reconquest of Morea in 1715, the Venetians gave up Lefkada to concentrate their resources on the defense of Corfu.
Lafcadio Hearn Historical Center was opened on July 4, 2014 in Lefkada by the son and grandson of the late U.S. President John F. Kennedy, who was born on the island and is named after him, and his wife Margaret. The establishment of this museum has contributed to the development of a new museum and a museum of historical and cultural heritage in the city.
The coastal road between Lefkada and Vasiliki passes through the village, and a bypass road has been completed between the villages to the west of it. The east coast of the island has a number of historical sites, such as Scorpios, the birthplace of Aristotle Onassis and his family. It is located in a protected spot on the banks of the Scornos, which once belonged to Aristotle Onassis, and is the location of his residence.